Have you ever been interested in the physical structure of the deadly entity that so frightens the western world? Digital artist and storyteller, Daniel Enrique de Leon, recently created a fantastic 3D animation of the molecular anatomy of the Ebola virus. Continue reading “ZBrush: The Ebola Virus”…
Apr 29, 2015 ZBrush: The Ebola Virus
Jan 30, 2015 Zbrush 4R7 Released
Zbrush 4R7 Now Available from Motion Media
What’s New in Zbrush 4R7?
Here is an overview of the main additions:
- ZModeler: With ZBrush 4R7 comes the ZModeler brush. This smart polygonal modeling system is designed to simplify your creation process. Quickly and dynamically create new shapes, doing so more easily than ever before possible: fuse polygons, delete full blocks of geometry, connect parts with advanced paths, and repeat your actions with a single click!With the ZModeler brush, ZBrush takes a quantum leap beyond the organics that it is already relied upon for. You can refine the shape of your model in real-time to revolutionize how you create hard surface models, architectural structures or highly detailed environments. The possibilities are endless.
- Instances and Details: With the new NanoMesh and Array Mesh features, you as the artist can bring more complexity and detail to your work while still maintaining a low polygon count. Both NanoMesh and ArrayMmesh will allow for multiple instances of any object to be created and then adjusted in a matter of seconds.
- ZBrush to KeyShot: With the ZBrush to KeyShot Bridge you can seamlessly connect ZBrush with KeyShot 5 to produce hyper-realistic and high quality images. If you don’t already own KeyShot 5 or if its price is simply out of your reach, a “special edition” KeyShot for ZBrush is also available*.The KeyShot for ZBrush Bridge changes your Best Preview Render (BPR) button to instead send your models to KeyShot with a single click. All associated data transfers automatically, including materials, displaced geometries, procedural noise, PolyPaint or textures — and of course the new NanoMesh and Array Mesh. If ZBrush can display it, KeyShot can render it!* The KeyShot for ZBrush edition is based on KeyShot HD functionality except for two points: It can only communicate with ZBrush (no importing from other packages) and there are no restrictions on rendering size. Luxion normally sells KeyShot HD for USD 995 but the introductory price to bundle of the ZBrush to KeyShot Bridge together with Keyshot for ZBrush is only USD 249. After the introductory period, the regular price will still be a terrific value at USD 349.
- 64-Bit Support: Push the boundaries of your imagination with the ZBrush 4R7 64-bit Preview Edition*. ZBrush can now tap all available computer memory and processing power for more details, even more complex models and faster operations.*The official release of ZBrush 4R7 is a native 32-bit application. We are also providing a native 64-bit build as a Developer Preview. This 64-bit application has been tested and should work flawlessly, but since the 64-bit conversion is a major overhaul of the core programming, official 64-bit support will not be available until the release of ZBrush 5. Version 4R7 will be the final 32-bit release of ZBrush.
- ZRemesher 2.0: Retopologizing has never been as artist-friendly as with ZRemesher 2.0. With a single click, you can automatically produce organic or hard surface topology without spirals. If one-click topology isn’t the right answer for every situation, you can intuitively take control of the re-topology process with curves to assist in determining polygon flow.
- Render with Complete Details – Surface Noise: With ZBrush 4R7 the BPR Render system will now render all Surface Noise as displacement, deforming the mesh to match the attributes of any procedurally created noise. It is like having a displacement map without needing to actually create the map. See extremely detailed results at render time regardless of polygon count.
- FBX Import/Export: To continue improving its integration with the artist’s pipeline, ZBrush 4R7 introduces a new free plugin: FBX Import Export. This supports texture, normal and displacement maps, blendshapes, smoothing based on normals and much more!
- Other Enhancements and Additions: As with past updates, ZBrush 4R7 doesn’t stop at major features. It also includes numerous other additions which will improve your productivity and creativity. A few are:
- Replay Last can now be reapplied to any portion of the model.
- Background images applied with the Grid system can now be projected onto your model for a painted guide in your newest creations.
- Start any sculpt with the new polygonal Cube, Sphere and Cylinder primitives.
- Automatically center the TransPose line on any unmasked, partially visible or symmetrical piece of geometry with one click.
- Copy and Paste between Tools, SubTools and even Projects.
- Now hold Shift to switch on Dynamic Draw Size to avoid accidentally turning it on.
|Upgrading to ZBrush 4R7?|
|If you are an existing Zbrush user, you can upgrade to Zbrush 4R7 for free.|
Aug 15, 2014 Zbrush 4R7 Has Been Announced
Pixologic is proud to announce ZBrush 4R7, which will be the final release in the ZBrush 4 series. More information about this version will be made available at a later date.
They are currently deep in development of the 64-bit version of ZBrush and 4R7 will be the final 32-bit version.
They will be releasing a 64-bit public beta of ZBrush 4R7 on the same day that the 32-bit version is officially released for both Windows and Macintosh.
They are happy to announce a collaboration with Luxion, creating a Bridge for seamless interaction between ZBrush and KeyShot.
A ZBrush Bridge and KeyShot package will be offered at an MSRP of $349. However, we will offer an introductory pricing of $249. This offer will be available upon the release of ZBrush 4R7.
Get ZBrush 4R7 Free when you purchase any new license of ZBrush 4R6!
Take a peek at what they’ve been up to with these images created by Joseph Drust, Paul Gaboury and Thomas Roussel using the new ZBrush features as well as the ZBrush to KeyShot Bridge:
ZBrush 4R7 FAQ
Q: When will ZBrush 4R7 be released?
A: Release date, upgrade instructions and feature list will be posted at a later date.
All registered users – including those who will purchase ZBrush between now and the release of ZBrush 4R7 – will receive the 4R7 update free of charge!
Q: What is a ”Public Beta”?
A: It’s a special edition of ZBrush 4R7 64-BIT. The features are exactly the same as the 32-BIT 4R7 version but we have updated the core of ZBrush to take full advantage of 64-BIT processing power and memory (RAM) capabilities.
Q: Is the KeyShot for ZBrush Bridge the KeyShot renderer?
A: No. The bridge only sends data from ZBrush to KeyShot. You still need to actually have KeyShot 5 or above installed on your computer in order for it to be able to render.
Q: What is “KeyShot for ZBrush”?
A: KeyShot for ZBrush will be the latest KeyShot version, designed to work exclusively with the “ZBrush to KeyShot” bridge. Both will be available concurrently with the release of ZBrush 4R7 and available at an introduction price of USD 249.
Q: If I already have KeyShot, can I get the ZBrush to KeyShot Bridge by itself?
A: Yes. The price for the Bridge by itself will be announced at a later date.
Q: Is “KeyShot for ZBrush” a full version of KeyShot?
A: YES! This special edition has all of KeyShot’s features but is designed to work exclusively with the “ZBrush to KeyShot Bridge”. (“KeyShot for ZBrush” is equivalent to KeyShot HD without the importers).
Q: Will ZBrush 5 have a 32-BIT version?
A: No. ZBrush 4R7 will be the last 32-BIT version.
Q: Which features will ZBrush 5 contain?
A: We are not announcing the features for ZBrush 5 yet, except that it will be 64-bits for Windows and Macintosh systems.
Jun 28, 2013 ZBrush 4R6 Available Now!
Pixologic releases another FREE update to ZBrush.
Huge list of updates but one stands out and that is ZRemesher, the almost magic like new retopology tool.
Read Below for the full details and check out the Video of Zremesher from Ryan Kingslien of zbrushworkshops.com.
Quote from ZBrushcentral:
ZBrush 4R6 continues to improve and enhance ZBrush functionality by giving you access to an enriched toolset of new features which will increase your creativity and productivity.
The new ZRemesher provides entirely rebuilt retopology system to give even better automated and user guided topology. There are also new brushes and functions to improve your workflow for both organic and hard surface sculpting.
Discover what has been added in this latest release: Continue reading “ZBrush 4R6 Available Now!”…
Dec 21, 2012 Pixologic announce the release of ZBrush 4R5!
ZBrush 4R5 continues to expand on creative freedom with new features for sculpting, rendering and overall quality of life. These new features were designed to let you be an artist first and foremost, giving you more freedom to explore new ideas!
ZBrush 4R5 is a free-of-charge update for all registered ZBrush users.
If you have ZBrush 4R4, use the Zplugin >> Auto Update >> Check new updates button from within ZBrush. (Alternatively, browse to your ZBrush 4R4 folder and run the ZUpgrader application.*)
If you have ZBrush 4, 4R2, 4R2b or 4R3 (or have 4R4 and would like a full installer rather than updater) follow the steps here: CLICK HERE
If you have ZBrush 3.5 or below, Submit a Support Ticket.
Aug 14, 2012 ZBrush 4r4 Floating Licenses Now Available
Pixologic announced today that Floating licenses are now available for 4R4 customers.
ZBrush 4R4 P2 is now available for floating license customers. Please have your organization’s IT manager or person in charge of your floating licenses Submit a Ticket at support.pixologic.com. For fastest processing, specify the “Floating Licenses” department when creating your ticket. Be sure to also include your organization’s name.
Don’t have a copy yet? Buy ZBrush 4R4 at Motion Media.
Jul 26, 2012 ZBrush 4r4 is Here!
Pixologic has announced the release of ZBrush 4R4 for both Windows & Mac.
ZBrush 4R4 continues expanding on creative freedom with a focus on model topology and detail creation. These new features were developed to let you be an artist first and foremost, while also helping give you ever more freedom to explore new ideas!
Insert Multi Mesh Brushes combine entire libraries of objects into a single brush. Select from any object within the brush, then insert it into your model. Easily convert any Tool to an Insert brush with a single click. If your Tool has multiple SubTools, an Insert Multi Mesh brush will be created, allowing you to select from any of its objects at any time.
Tri Part Multi Mesh Brushes advances the Insert Brush features even further, using PolyGroups to define end cap objects along with a middle segment. When you draw a curve, the end caps will be placed at either end with the middle segment being duplicated along the curve’s length. Instantly build chains, zippers and other complex shapes in full 3D. In addition to Tri IMM, the new Curve Brushes can be used to draw almost anything!
The new QRemesher frees you from the complex tasks of creating new model topology. QRemesher can automatically or semi-automatically clean up your mesh topology. Special automasking and other control features including curve guides let you control the retopology, when necessary, to get the best results quickly and easily.
The new Topology Brush provides manual control over topology creation for those times when you wish to re-topologize your work with precision. It uses ZBrush 4R4’s optimized curve engine to let you draw new polygons on the fly, after which a simple click on the support surface instantly generates the new polygons — with or without thickness. Build form-fitting props complete with thickness or redesign a partial surface, ready to replace part of your existing mesh.
Mesh Fusion swaps part of your model’s surface with another piece of topology, automatically bridging the polygons to maintain a seamless mesh. Simply define PolyGroups on your model and then replace those areas with a new mesh! ZBrush merges the new element into the support mesh by bridging the polygons at the insertion boundary. Read more »
Reference Images can now be applied to the ZBrush Grids. Load your images for the front, side and top views to more easily create artwork based on references. This even works with Shadow Box. Different images may even be assigned to opposite sides of each plane, giving you the effect of a reference cube surrounding your sculpt. Additionally, your model or even a simple plan with a texture applied on it can be snapshot to the Bakckground image so that if follows your camera rotations.
With over 10,000 available steps gives you virtually unlimited Undo capabilities. This History is saved as part of the ZBrush Project format, meaning that your steps will be maintained even across multiple sessions. A History slider makes it easy to scrub through your Undo History, you can play through the steps like a movie. In fact, you can even make a movie out of your History, complete with special controls to optimize (or replace) camera movement, object centering and more. The result is a far more enjoyable playback than if you had simply recorded your sculpting session using traditional video capture.
TransPose now provides a world axis selector so that you can switch to any working plane orientation with a single click, or snap the Action Line to your surface normal anywhere on the model. In addition, there are new Inflate and Flatten functions which are especially useful for hard surface sculpting.
DynaMesh nowprovides increased resolution (up to 2048) and the capability to combine SubTools using DynaMesh — even defining specific SubTools as negative volumes. You can accomplish amazing things simply by combining basic shapes in original ways.
While these major new features and enhancements are the most noticeable, they are nowhere near being everything that ZBrush 4R4 brings to the table. You can see a list of many more features that have been designed to make your life easier or open up new avenues for creativity here.
Feb 22, 2012 Pixologic announces ZBrush 4R3
Pixologic has announced the upcoming release of ZBrush 4R3.This update includes new features and expands the features introduced in previous versions.
- Vector Displacement Maps
- BPR to Geo
- Interface Enhancements
- Auto Updating
ZBrush 4R3 is scheduled for release on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 It will be a free update for all registered users. Update instructions will be provided at time of release.
Jan 24, 2012 ZBrush 4R2b Download Available Now
Pixologic has released an update to ZBrush 4R2 so you don’t have to wait until R5 to get some of these amazing new features. ZBrush 4R2b is pretty revolutionary and is well worth the free downloadable update.
But that’s not all! ZBrush4 R2b also includes exciting new features that are designed to push your artwork to ever greater heights! FiberMesh to create true 3D fibers, fur and hair which may be sculpted, painted, UV mapped and even exported to other applications.
- New set of dedicated FiberMesh “Groom” brushes and corresponding Brush settings.
- MicroMesh support to render fibers or single polygons as another 3D object.
- New set of BPR filters and operators to greatly improve your final ZBrush renders.
- BPR Global Shadow and Ambient Occlusion settings which simplify shadow management.
- New Cavity Mixer which to define different material shaders based on the mesh cavities.
- Improved small details creation through Alpha and Mask. Alphas may be placed using TransPose.
- Surface Smoothness feature detects mesh curvature for Mask creation.
- New global deformation with Transpose Curve deformation and UnClip.
- Improved Mask operations with Shrink and Extend.
- Topology editing additions: Group Mask and Edgeloop Mask Border.
- New JPEG Exporter with Crop, Preview and adjustment settings.
- Numerous improvements such as storing shadow information based on the camera point of view, preview of mesh Extraction, Auto Adjust Mode for perspective… and a lot more.
For anyone who already has ZBrush 4R2 installed, an Updater is available now in the Pixologic Download Center. Please carefully read the instructions that are provided with the Updater.